Getting approved for a car loan can be extremely difficult if you have little or no credit history. Traditional FICO credit scores look at your history of borrowing and repaying debts, but they don’t take into account other financial responsibilities. If you don’t have established credit but have been faithfully paying your bills and meeting financial obligations, you may qualify for an auto loan based on your job history.
What is Your Job is Your Credit Car Financing?
Your Job is Your Credit, also known as employment-based financing, allows buyers to qualify for a car loan based on their job stability and income rather than their credit score. To be approved, you’ll need:
- Steady employment, typically for at least one year with the same employer. Self-employment may also qualify.
- Verifiable source of income sufficient to afford the monthly car payment.
- Down payment, typically 10-30% of the vehicle purchase price.
- Proof of residence to register the vehicle.
Your job gives lenders confidence that you’ll be able to make your monthly payments. Your annual income helps determine the amount you can borrow and the size of your down payment.
This type of financing is a growing option for those with limited credit history.
According to CFPB, over 26 million Americans are credit invisible and 56 million have subprime credit scores below 600. Your Job is Your Credit allows car buying opportunities for millions of consumers who may not qualify through traditional lenders.
Industry research shows that Your Job is Your Credit loans have increased by over 5% annually over the past few years. These lenders fill a critical gap by approving based on employment factors for consumers with past credit challenges.
Approval rates for credit-challenged applicants are 47% higher on average when lenders consider alternative employment and income sources rather than relying solely on FICO scores and credit reports.
Your Job is Your Credit uses your consistent work history, not your past mistakes, to provide a second chance at financing a reliable vehicle. With responsible use, it can help build your credit profile for the future. This innovative lending approach opens up more possibilities for Americans striving for better transportation.
Benefits of Your Job is Your Credit Car Financing
Financing a car through a Your Job is Your Credit dealership offers several advantages:
Wider Selection of Lenders
- Specialty lenders work with customers who don’t qualify for traditional auto loans. This gives you more options to find bad credit car loan options with the lowest interest rate.
- Lenders look beyond credit scores to approve based on your employment and income history.
- With access to lenders across the country, Carfect helps match you to financing options.
Lower Interest Rates
- Your interest rate is based on your steady job history rather than your credit score or report.
- Rates through Your Job is Your Credit lenders may be lower than subprime financing, rent-to-own and buy here pay here dealerships.
- Less interest paid over the loan term means more money savings for you.
Establish Credit History
- Making consistent payments on time shows lenders you can manage credit responsibly.
- Your auto loan repayment history helps build your positive credit profile.
- Good credit history makes it easier to qualify for future loans and credit products.
Get the Car You Need
- A reliable used car provides vital transportation to get to work, school, appointments, and anywhere else you need to go.
- Having dependable transportation brings safety, convenience, and peace of mind for you and your family.
- Your Job is Your Credit allows you to purchase well-maintained used vehicles to meet your needs.
Potentially Lower Down Payment
- Your down payment is based on your ability to repay rather than credit score requirements.
- With verifiable income for the payment, lenders may approve with less money down compared to traditional financing.
- You get on the road faster with less cash out of pocket.
Quick Loan Decision
- Lenders can preapprove you in just hours or days based on employment verification rather than waiting on lengthy credit decisioning.
- Get your loan approved quickly so you can focus on finding the right vehicle.
- The dealer experience is streamlined since the lender already reviewed your information.
Loan Terms Fit Your Budget
- Loan repayment terms like length, down payment, and monthly payment plan are structured around your income and expenses.
- Your Job is Your Credit considers your full financial picture, not just your credit rating.
- Loan terms are tailored for an affordable payment you can manage month to month.
Buy Nicer Vehicles
- Your Job is Your Credit lenders work with quality dealerships that sell well-maintained used cars.
- You can purchase a nicer, more reliable vehicle than typically possible with buy here pay here lots.
- With a reputable dealer, you also get better protections like vehicle service contracts.
No Traditional Credit Needed
- Get approved with limited or even no credit history if you meet employment and income requirements.
- Your Job is Your Credit allows approval based on your ability to manage financial obligations responsibly, not your poor credit score.
- Alternative financing options when you have challenges getting traditional credit.
Your Job is Your Credit Loan Requirements
While requirements vary by lender, here are typical eligibility standards for Your Job is Your Credit financing:
- Employed at your current job for 12-24 months. Self-employment may qualify with 2+ years of steady income. Longer employment brings more stability.
- Monthly income of at least $1500 – $2000, varying by lender. Most lenders have a minimum income requirement that must be verifiable.
- Down payment of 10-30% of vehicle purchase price. More money down shows you are financially committed and reduces the risk for lenders.
- Proof of income – Recent pay stubs and W-2s. Self-employed may need tax returns and bank statements. Documents must show regular income.
- Proof of residence – Utility bill or lease in your name matching address on ID. Used to register the car in your local area.
- Valid driver’s license with no current suspensions. License shows ability to legally operate the vehicle.
- No open bankruptcies. Prior bankruptcies typically need to be discharged for 12-24 months. Must demonstrate financial responsibility.
- Debt-to-income ratio typically below 50%. Your total monthly debt payments should not exceed 50% of your gross monthly income.
- Clean background check – no outstanding judgments or collections from auto lenders. Prior issues with auto lenders are red flags.
- References – Some lenders require personal references to vouch for your character. References help show creditworthiness.
- Co-signer – Applicants with shorter job tenure may need a co-signer with good credit history to share responsibility.
- Some lenders may ask for a rental history or utility payment records to further verify financial responsibility.
How Your Job is Your Credit Car Financing Works
If you meet the lender’s requirements, here are the typical steps to get approved for Your Job is Your Credit auto financing:
Find the Right Bad Credit Car Dealer
- Carfect partners with local dealerships across the country that work with Your Job is Your Credit lenders. We’ll match you with a dealer in your area suited to your needs. Our dealers have experience working with credit-challenged buyers.
- Avoid small buy here pay here lots. Look for an established, licensed bad credit car lots with a good reputation.
- Research bad credit car dealerships online and check reviews on sites like the Better Business Bureau before visiting.
Apply for Pre-Approval
- The dealer will collect your proof of income, residence, driver’s license, insurance, and other required documents to submit your application.
- The dealer sends your information to their participating Your Job is Your Credit lenders to assess your financing options.
- This pre-approval shows the loan amount, interest rate, and terms you qualify for based on your application.
Verify Income and Employment
- The lender will contact your employer to verify your income, length of employment, job title and payment frequency.
- Self-employed may need to provide business financial statements, tax returns or bank account records to confirm income.
- Stable income and employment are key factors in final approval.
Select Your Vehicle
- Work with the dealer to find a used car within your approved budget and needs. Test drive different options.
- The dealer will calculate the down payment needed based on the pre-approval terms and vehicle selling price.
- Make sure you’re comfortable with the monthly payment and that it fits your budget. Ask the dealer any questions.
Final Lender Approval
- Once you’ve selected a vehicle, the dealer presents your information to the lender for final purchase approval.
- The lender may ask for updated pay stubs or other income verification before final approval.
- This process is typically faster than traditional financing since it is based on employment rather than waiting on credit checks.
Complete Purchase Paperwork
- With lender approval, proceed to the dealership’s finance office to complete purchase paperwork.
- Sign loan documents, registration forms, odometer statement, etc. Make down payment via cash, check, or draft from your bank.
- The dealer may offer optional extended warranty plans or other add-ons for your consideration. Review these carefully before deciding.
Make On-Time Payments
- Be sure to make your first payment within 30 days of purchase and continue making on-time payments each month. Late payments negatively impact your credit.
- Making consistent on-time payments shows lenders you can manage credit responsibly and helps build your positive credit history.
- If any hardship arises impacting your ability to make payments, communicate proactively with the lender to avoid repossession.
Ready to Apply?
If you’re ready to get behind the wheel of a reliable used car through the Your Job is Your Credit program, Carfect makes it easy. Our bad credit auto loan process takes just minutes before matching you to dealers with special financing options for your situation.
With Carfect Chicago buy here pay here network, you can get competitive offers from multiple dealers, saving you time and money. Apply today at one of our bad credit car dealerships and be driving your new used car tomorrow!
To qualify, you’ll need steady employment or self-employment income over the last 1-2 years, sufficient income for the monthly payments, a valid driver’s license, and no recent bankruptcies. Prior credit issues are generally OK if you meet the job and income criteria.
With “your job is your credit”, lenders look at your employment history rather than mainly credit scores. This allows approval based on your ability to repay, not prior credit history. It offers financing options if you have limited credit or past credit challenges.
Bad Credit Car Loan Interest rates typically range from 9-22% APR based on your down payment, income stability and debt levels. Rates are generally better than rent-to-own and buy here pay here dealers.
You pre-qualify online at a site like Carfect. They match you to a participating dealer who verifies your employment and income to submit your application to lenders. Once approved, you select your vehicle, complete dealer financing paperwork, and drive off!
You’ll need to verify income (paystubs, bank statements, tax returns), residence (utility bill), driver’s license, auto insurance, and provide employer contact info. The lender will also complete a background check.
Down payment requirements range from 10-30% of the vehicle purchase price. More down means lower risk for the lender and better rates for you.
Having steady employment or self-employment income over 2+ years, higher income relative to the car payment, and more money down are key factors that improve your approval odds. Maintaining low debt levels also helps.
“Your job is your credit” refers to a type of car financing where lenders evaluate your eligibility based on your employment and income history rather than traditional credit scores or reports. It means they look at the stability of your job and income levels to assess if you can manage an auto loan responsibility.
The lowest credit scores that may get approved for auto financing generally fall in the 500-550 FICO score range, though each lender has their own standards. With deep subprime credit below 550, your best option is typically financing through a “your job is your credit” type of dealer that focuses on your ability to repay rather than your credit score.
When a dealership runs your credit application to check your rates and financing options, this results in a hard credit inquiry which can temporarily lower your credit score by a few points. However, as long as you ultimately get approved for the loan, responsible repayment of the auto loan will help build your positive credit history. Multiple dealership inquiries within a short period for rate shopping are treated as a single inquiry by credit scoring models.